Monday, March 20, 2017

The Best Experience of My Life

The best experience of my life was hands down the birth of my niece, Charlotte, or Charlie as we call her.  She was born on July 19, 2015 at Winthrop University Hospital.  Even a year and a half later I can take myself back to this day and remember the pure joy I felt holding my niece.  I can remember the morning exactly. It was sunny and mild, perfect beach weather.  I went to the beach with my best friend around ten in the morning, and before the clock struck eleven I got a call that my sister had gone into labor, two weeks early!  I raced the hospital where I met my sister’s husband in the waiting room just in time for him to tell us that the baby was almost here.  One long hour later Elvis came back into the waiting room and announced it was a girl.  I remember immediately fighting to get back into the room.  Being my sister’s best friend, I was the first to hold the baby after her and Elvis.  I will always remember the moment they told me my niece's name was Charlotte, and asked me to be her godmother.  


Vocabulary:
Experience (noun): the observation of facts or events that someone encountered
Remember (verb): to be able to bring one's mind back to a past event or fact
Pure (adjective): free of contamination
Announced (verb): to publicly give information
Godmother (noun): a woman who parents a child in a spiritual way at the child’s baptism
Niece (noun): the daughter of your sibling
Vocabulary Activity:
My _________ is named Charlotte and I am lucky enough to be her ___________.
I will always ____________ holding my niece for the first time.
I still feel __________ joy whenever I get to spend time with Charlie.
I __________ to the world that my niece was born almost immediately on Facebook.
The best ___________ of my life was meeting Charlie for the first time.


Grammar Point: Active Voice
The active voice describes writing in which the subject of the sentence is performing the action that is being discussed.  This is opposed to the passive voice where the subject of the sentence is being acted upon.




Grammar Activity:
Write a story using the active voice.  This story should be between 4-6 sentences and can be fictional or factual.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, Rachel you are such a great aunt! I have 7 nieces, 2 of which were born on my birthday! The first one was exciting and the next was like "uh-oh" they took over MY day :(. Just kidding, I'm too old. I love how you used the visual and description of the cookie jar to explain your grammar point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, very clever to use the cookie jar. It is great that you enjoy being an auntie.

    ReplyDelete